Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Milestones and millstones

As I hack away the remnants of my first experience with COVID, I'm forced to contemplate once again my declining capacities. There wasn't a lot of difference in my activities of the last day or two, and my activities on any given day. I can still cook (I did not do so on the first two days of this illness, though). I did my mild morning exercises eventually except for the balance ones, which seemed too daring for someone in recovery. It's days like this that are not possible to explain to younger people. I maintain my appetite for typing up a storm, as long as I can sit comfortably, but going out and doing things and talking with people? That appetite, never sturdy, may have vanished permanently, just like my sense of smell (I thought, until I detected the spilled fish oil in the pet-food cabinet). 

Russell had it too, and Brian. I seem to have gotten it from Brian.

My post of mid-June is long and accurate and covers a lot of ground. It'll make a great read for me in another year. Now here I am ten weeks later (too soon?) with one nice event and two complaints. A week ago, on Sunday the 18th, Russell and I drove to Clarksville, Tennessee, to pick up the ukulele being made for me by Jonathan Mann: the "Raptor" jazz baritone electric, lacquered a deep green. It plays beautifully, as I'd hoped it would. My fingers slip around less. The action is slightly easier, the tone is fine. Best of all, it's not intimidating, and I almost feel I deserve it. The thing cost me $1,750. I do realize it will not solve my playing problems. I don't practice much, and my aging fingers are not as reliable, especially when I'm playing in public. But it's already proven itself at an online open mic, and it will be a treat to write songs on it.

Russell and I had a fun road trip--I'm not being facetious. We got along, we enjoyed the drive, the visit with the luthier, and a brief spell at a kitschy emporium called "Sweet Charlotte," where I had a terrible taco salad served in a Dorito bag. We even stopped and took pictures of a weird building we spied. It gave me hope for us as a couple. I think what also gives me hope is that we are sharing the burden of having Brian here with the same helpless but hopeful feelings, partial proof that we have a similar world view. Then again, I could be deluded. There are times when I detect the same oblivious male condescension coming from Russell that I experience from Brian, and have known in many other times and places. Condescension and being humored are not as bad as being ignored, however.

I have, for the last day (since I accidentally found out about it), had to consider that I might be suffering from being ignored as a child, which supposedly causes something called "Complex" PTSD. I watched someone's video; I did a meditation. So far, so good. And yet I know that I was decidedly NOT ignored. At times I was micromanaged! It's not exactly psychobabble, but these earnest attempts to categorize What Ails a Person are so clumsy and general. What I think now is that I was ignored at a certain crucial point, around the time Michael was born. I have evidence of ancient feelings of abandonment, one being the overwhelming crying jag I went on when Russell stayed out with Steve Linney late one night early on, maybe the first year we were married. It was an irrational response, and I'd had such responses before, with Bob Brattvet in the 1970s. I sobbed until I choked. It went on for what seemed like hours. (They weren't even at a bar, they were at an all-night coffeeshop.) There was another time a two decades after that when someone I'd been talking with at work acted as if I did not exist once we'd arrived at a cafeteria line and other people were around. My response was one of terror and loss of identity, which I managed to cover up. Again, irrational. (That I felt a tinge of that two weeks ago at an open mic when I looked up and no one was looking my way does not bode well.)

I try to be "normal," but I do lack self-control occasionally, and I have never felt secure within myself. However, I do not come across as insecure; in fact, it's the opposite, unless a person knows my secret triggers, which not even I know! Tell you who does--Felicia. She's turned into a real manipulator. When did this start? Was it when I had some beers and confessed some insecurities to her back in 2017 when she dropped Tomas off for his year at New Century High? But long before that there were times she tried to get my attention, and I never understood, and she was very disappointed in me. Resentment can grow. The collapse of her marriage must have had an effect; she's almost viciously independent now, and full of mockery of women (like me) who are less so.

Along with CPTSD, I found something more applicable: "reactive abuse." That's when someone we apparently have to label "the abuser" provokes a "victim" into lashing out abusively themselves. This has been happening with Felicia and me on Zoom meetings since 2020. The descriptions are uncanny, as if the writer had witnessed me and Felicia interacting. And yet, as with the syndrome discussed above, I know that she is not "the abuser" all the time. We do not have a domestic situation; this is a role she perhaps subconsciously adopts only on Zoom meetings with the other siblings. And I certainly do not consider myself a "victim" except during those moments. It has been painful enough, though, that I talked to a social worker about it in 2022, and was given tips, tricks, and the reminder that I can just STOP talking with her--that I was under no obligation to talk with her EVER AGAIN if I was being attacked, or felt as if I would be.

But the thought of not talking with Felicia, for some reason, makes me almost cry (and I haven't actually cried since my mother's funeral in 2014, and that wasn't about my mother, but about Michael). Maybe I'm a sentimental fool, remembering the good times when we were all in our twenties and thirties. Maybe I don't like the idea of losing the chance to play "big sister" once more, although she's more "worldly" than me at this point. There's nothing I can help her with; she has made it evident that she finds my life's stories pointless and sad, and my "creative" activities incomprehensible.

At least writing all of this down makes me feel less sick at heart, even if I am still slightly sick from COVID.

No comments: